Monday, March 12, 2007

Post Adolescence: Adult Orthodontia

March 12...

Well... not exactly a metal mouth, but after years of bitching about my lower teeth moving closer together and having more issues with tartar, I couldn't take it any longer. I am now experiencing extreme post adolescence in my early 40s: Invisalign.

Over the past 4 years, Andrew and I have discussed at length about the advantages of getting orthodontics (he's got perfect teeth!) and encouraged me to persue the opportunity while it was available to us. A decent dental plan doesn't hurt, either.

So, back in August, I decided to have the dentist review my case to determine my worthiness. After a harrowing experience with the molds taken weeks ago (I've asked for the photos and they think I'm kidding!), the set came in last week and the first tray was installed today!

When I entered the 'drilling room' as Andrew affectionately calls it, they told me I'd have to have some things done... what pray tell? Affixing little 'speed bumps' (as the patients of Invisalign affectionately call it) to the front of a few toothies to increase tension. Evidently, because the number of trays that are prescribed to me (only 20!) it seems that my teeth aren't as bad as other cases, so I'm allowed only 3 speedbumps (one on an upper incisor and one each on the lower incisors).

Then I panicked.

Laying on my back with my head dipped lower than my feet, I raised my upper body from the chair to address concerns about one of the more important traditions in my life -and that is drinking red wine with Andrew. He assured me that drinking wine with dinner was okay. I had to clarify that by telling him we sip wine through the course of the night -beyond dinner. "We just bought a case, Doc!" Then I had to tell his assistant that we tossed the Gregorian system long ago and use the big glass jar on our dry bar to measure time. Then I got one of those looks. Of course, I then had to tell her that each day I'm reminded how beneficial wine is for the human body.

After rinsing, drying, and affixing the speed bumps, my trays were promptly inserted. Initially, I didn't think the initial experience was too bad, really.

Spending a few hours alone stuffing cards, my acclimation was pretty easy -then again, I wasn't talking. I reminisced with Andrew upon his return home from work about our wine woes and talking was a bit difficult with the new trays. I told him to expect a call from Dr. Eric because he was going to be delivering the bad news, not me. (ha!) Andrew ran to the store to buy provisions for dinner and that sweet man bought a 1/2 case of wine... white wine!

When it came to popping out the trays for dinner, it was a bit unnerving. I could feel my heart racing as I felt like I was removing my own teeth for the pure sake of fun. Deep breath, they're out. Knowing now that I can drink white wine with the trays still in place, I won't keep them out for 90 minutes -ouch! they hurt when they get returned to the upright and locked position!

Photos forthcoming.

No comments: